Author Topic: Sydney or Sydnee?  (Read 239 times)

midspace

Sydney or Sydnee?
« on: January 03, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
I'm a little disappointed in the latest AGU: Border Patrol, Clidepp D?j? Vu.

Throughout the story our main character changes name. Initially it's Sydnee, and then it's Sydney.
You can even see it in the online sample chapter.
http://www.deprima.com/chapters/s_clideppdejavu.html

It flips a flops backwards and forwards several times through the book. It feels like there was some poor editing or proofing done on the book before release.

Making corrections to the story like fixing the name of characters, does Thomas Deprima ever send out updates to those that bought it through DePrima.com?

Thomas

• Administrator
Re: Sydney or Sydnee?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:44:41 PM »
Is it Sydney or Sydnee?

I always appreciate it when readers notify me of errors. I wish I was infallible, but alas, I'm not. To see how badly I had messed up poor Sydnee's name, I used the word count capability of Word to record the number of occurrences. In the three books, total, the name Sydnee appears one thousand five hundred eight times. The name Sydney appears a total of eighteen times. While 1,508 vs 18 is not exactly flip-flopping, I understand how it can be annoying. I'm not a perfectionist, but I'm close. If I was a perfectionist, I'd never get any novels finished. I know a perfectionist author who has been working on the same novel for nineteen years. (It's his first, so he wants it to be perfect.) All of my books are edited and proofed. If they weren't you'd have run out of space enumerating my errors. My editor and proofreaders do a great job, but alas, they miss a few also. That's my fault. They get so caught up in the exciting storyline that they miss one or two here and there. Fortunately, there's strength in numbers, so the errors that slip through are quite limited.

I'm going to go in and correct the eighteen occurrences, replacing Sydney with Sydnee. Send me your purchase information and I'll send you the corrected copies when I complete the work. Don't post it here. Send to my correspondence address on my website's CONTACT page. I do offer replacement books when I make changes, but I'm not going to send out a general announcement since the change is so minor. Anyone who wants a corrected version simply needs to ask. And if anyone knows how I can remove the name Sydney from the Word dictionary, let me know. I know how to alter the custom dictionary, but not the built-in one that comes with Word. There must be a way.

midspace

Re: Sydney or Sydnee?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:53:16 PM »
Thomas, thank you for fixing our beloved Sydnee!

I will take up your offer for a corrected copy after I've read the book again. I'm sure I saw a few other issues during my read but forgot to notate them in Kindle. I think I was more interested in turning the next page at times.

As for an "Exclusion Dictionary", the following may help.
I have Office Professional 2010, and this appears to work.
https://www.timeatlas.com/word-exclusion-dictionary/