Author Topic: AGU 11 discussions [SPOILERS]  (Read 635 times)

Thomas

• Administrator
Re: AGU 11 discussions [SPOILERS]
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »
I am sorry to say but the accelerated technology development
is starting to destroy the pleasure that i usually take from reading your books.

I've always said that Outer Space Sci-Fi is the most difficult sub-genre in which to write. The problem is the diversity of readers. Some readers want human relationships in an outer space setting, but almost no tech at all, while others only want high tech and lots of real science, while keeping it business-like at all times. I could show you emails and reviews which are exactly the opposite of yours. I try to please both groups as best I can by including a little of both in all my stories. But someone is always a little disappointed because my stories are not limited to just the story line they want to see. So I also try to alternate the thrust of the stories so that every other book appeals more to group one, and the next book appeals more to group two.   ;D

The wormhole advance is not science developed by either the G.A. or the Denubbewa. It was science the Denubbewa took from an alien culture they conquered. So there would be no slow and steady development by G.A. scientists. And while the G.A. acquired the technology quickly, the Denubbewa have been working to understand and expand it for a millennium.

As to the Dakinium, both sides acquired a sample and tried to manufacture it. The Denubbewa kept at it until they matched it exactly. The G.A. had a freak accident that left them with a better alternative and DE capability, although they continue to work with it in an effort to make better products.

By 468 I assume you're talking about Light-468 which is 468 times the speed of light in a vacuum. That didn't come about in 2-3 years. The G.A. had FTL long before Jenetta was born. But slow improvements in the speed with which they could generate new envelopes (single) enabled them travel faster and faster.

A hundred fifteen years ago, controlled, powered flight was just a dream. It wasn't until 1903 (November if I recall) that the Wright brothers achieved it. However, mankind was dreaming of flight for thousands of years before that if Egyptian relics and Michelangelo's drawings from about 1500 are any indication. Just imagine, all those thousands of years of dreaming about powered, controlled flight, and in just a 66 year period we not only achieved it, but we also put men on the moon. Sorry if you feel things are moving too fast.  I find it exciting.   ;D

The next book swings back the other way, as they've been doing in this series, so perhaps you'll enjoy it more than AGU-11. I hope so. And there's always the Sydnee Marcola series. Far less scientific discovery, and more boots on the ground type of action.   8)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:49:29 PM by Thomas »

Ty

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »
As to the Dakinium, both sides acquired a sample and tried to manufacture it. The Denubbewa kept at it until they matched it exactly. The G.A. had a freak accident that left them with a better alternative and DE capability, although they continue to work with it in an effort to make better products.

I have really been wondering just where the Denubbewa got their sample of dakimium.  The only original dakinium is in region one at Dakistee and maybe in a SC lab.  SC does not manufacture that type of dakinium.  I can't really see them getting a sample from Dakistee.  I think that was the one of the issue that ser72 may have had.  The only theory I had to explain it was that maybe they got SC dakinium and reverse engineered it and then improved it and then thought that they had something better then SC.  :D But from your response, I assume that didnt happened.  So i'm at a loss as to how they could have gotten dakinium in the first place. 

As for SC improving Dakinium, they can make the original dakinum now and sheath their ships with it, install a envelope generator and sheath just the envelope generator with the their "old" version of dakinium.  They can still make the DE that way, as i understand it.  If it works, they could also surround the generators in the captured motherships with SC dakinium and it at could travel at Marc-1 without being towed.  And if dakinium can be easily recycled, then they can use all that Denubbewa Dakinium.

Oh btw, did you send out the newsletter?  I didnt receive an email so i'm just wondering if you have sent it yet.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:30:36 PM by Ty »

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
I have really been wondering just where the Denubbewa got their sample of dakimium.

I'm sure you don't really want me to tell you now. It would ruin the surprise.    ;D

Interesting idea about the motherships, but they could always just hook up a CPS-16, or any other SC Dakinium sheathed  ship, and tow a DS mothership at Marc-One.

No, I haven't sent the email newsletter out yet. I've been so busy helping readers who are first time buyers, responding to emails , trying to work on the print version of the latest book, and performing a thousand other little chores required of the staff when running a one-person writing and publishing business that I haven't finished preparing it. I've also been working on the next books. Perhaps I'll get it out by Monday.    ;D

Ty

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 01:29:49 PM »
I'm sure you don't really want me to tell you now. It would ruin the surprise.    ;D

Interesting idea about the motherships, but they could always just hook up a CPS-16, or any other SC Dakinium sheathed  ship, and tow a DS mothership at Marc-One.

Speaking for myself, i can handle a few spoilers.  One of the most enjoyable parts for me in reading sci-fi is trying to predict what will happen next, and also figuring out alternative ways to use new tech in a sci fi series.  And that means I always welcome additional information that can advance my predictions.   ;)  I do understand though, that there are things an author wants to hold back until the next book is released.  And there are probably other readers that dont want you to ruin the surprise.

The idea about the motherships comes from me trying to figure out what SC will do with all that Denubbewa Dakinium!  If it can be recycled that is. I thought of sheathing the SC ships with it except for the envelope generator and then realized they could do that with the motherships too. And its simple enough solution that it would be worth doing even though a CPS-16 could tow them. Can the Denubbewa Dakinium be recycled?

ser72

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »
I am sorry to say but the accelerated technology development
is starting to destroy the pleasure that i usually take from reading your books.

I've always said that Outer Space Sci-Fi is the most difficult sub-genre in which to write. The problem is the diversity of readers. Some readers want human relationships in an outer space setting, but almost no tech at all, while others only want high tech and lots of real science, while keeping it business-like at all times. I could show you emails and reviews which are exactly the opposite of yours. I try to please both groups as best I can by including a little of both in all my stories. But someone is always a little disappointed because my stories are not limited to just the story line they want to see. So I also try to alternate the thrust of the stories so that every other book appeals more to group one, and the next book appeals more to group two.   ;D

The next book swings back the other way, as they've been doing in this series, so perhaps you'll enjoy it more than AGU-11. I hope so. And there's always the Sydnee Marcola series. Far less scientific discovery, and more boots on the ground type of action.   8)

I accept that the audience is diverse and respect every point of view, but i believe that this kind of high speed advance basically breaks the story, because there is no longer any connection between the original story development and the new one, it's a new universe with new and different rules, better or worst this is not the point just new and different.
So maybe was better to conclude the original series and restart it with new main characters let's say 25 or 50 years in the future.
What do you think?
Personally i eagerly wait the next Sydnee Marcola , the problem for me is that because the long time between the books i have to go back and read at least the last book. :-)
maybe is better to concentrate 1 year on 1 story line and 1 year on another? don't know if this is good advice but the waiting is long, maybe a bit to long for 300 pages books.
If you haven't already try to read Chris Hechtl to understand my point of view.
Thanks anyway for the time that you invest writing those stories.

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 05:37:46 PM »

Last evening I updated the books on my media distributor's website. I wanted to have an email sent to everyone who had purchased a copy of the new book so they could get the revised book at no charge, BUT-- I think the procedure only worked for readers who have purchased a PDF version. This was the first time I tried this with Selz, and the fault is mine if it didn't work. I will contact their support department on Monday and ask them if everyone who purchased the book is going to get an email with a new download capability or not. And if not, I'll ask them to help me get one sent out.

There were only six corrections, and they were minor (two typos - 'Eight now' was changed to 'Right now' and 'understand' was changed to 'understands', one misidentification - 'Jen' should have been 'Christa', and I referred to Scout-Destroyers as Destroyers in three places.) but I feel everyone would like to have a book with the errors corrected because many fans read the books multiple times (according to my fan mail.)   ;D

If anyone who ordered either a Mobi version or an ePub version, gets the email notification this weekend, please leave a note on this board so I won't have to bother Selz.

Thanks.

Navar

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 02:11:28 PM »
I have really been wondering just where the Denubbewa got their sample of dakimium.

They always had it but didn't use it for purpose of armoring their ships tough. :)

Its been foreshadowed trough the book that original Denubbewa are actually Dakisteeans, or fraction of them that so spooked those religious fractions. It's also quite plausible that those religious zealots are not actually responsible for sterility issue. If some other fraction wanted to convert whole population into cyborgs what better way then to make them sterile right? And then frame the religious zealots for it?

Ty

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 11:35:26 PM »

They always had it but didn't use it for purpose of armoring their ships tough. :)

Its been foreshadowed trough the book that original Denubbewa are actually Dakisteeans, or fraction of them that so spooked those religious fractions. It's also quite plausible that those religious zealots are not actually responsible for sterility issue. If some other fraction wanted to convert whole population into cyborgs what better way then to make them sterile right? And then frame the religious zealots for it?

An interesting theory, but I am sceptical about it.  I have wondered if the Dakisteeans are somehow connected to the Denubbewa.  However, it is unlikely in my opinion.  But you never know.....

If anyone who ordered either a Mobi version or an ePub version, gets the email notification this weekend, please leave a note on this board so I won't have to bother Selz.

Thanks.

I received an email with the copy of the updated book yesterday.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:37:37 PM by Ty »

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 11:52:09 PM »

I accept that the audience is diverse and respect every point of view, but i believe that this kind of high speed advance basically breaks the story, because there is no longer any connection between the original story development and the new one, it's a new universe with new and different rules, better or worst this is not the point just new and different.
So maybe was better to conclude the original series and restart it with new main characters let's say 25 or 50 years in the future.
What do you think?
Personally i eagerly wait the next Sydnee Marcola , the problem for me is that because the long time between the books i have to go back and read at least the last book. :-)
maybe is better to concentrate 1 year on 1 story line and 1 year on another? don't know if this is good advice but the waiting is long, maybe a bit to long for 300 pages books.
If you haven't already try to read Chris Hechtl to understand my point of view.
Thanks anyway for the time that you invest writing those stories.

I have to disagree that an advancement of this type breaks the story. As I've said, this isn't an advancement attained by Space Command developments, so an advancement of this type can happen at any time. I can't see how ending the current storyline and restarting it 50 years in the future can make any improvement. In fifty years the Carvers will still look 21, but most other officers will have advanced in rank, many will have retired, and many things will be different. I'd have to basically start over and define the new story universe.

I realize that everyone is anxious for the part of the AGU story universe they like best, and it's frustrating to wait a year for another book to be available. I guess I'm used to that because that's the way it's always been when print books and big publishers ruled the literary world. Last year I essentially wrapped up two of my series that had never developed a large following, so my Space Opera books will appear with more
regularity.

Navar

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »
An interesting theory, but I am sceptical about it.  I have wondered if the Dakisteeans are somehow connected to the Denubbewa.  However, it is unlikely in my opinion.  But you never know.....

Naah!..While Denubbewa might indeed be Dakisteeans, it was explained in chapter 20 of the AGU-11 by Sywasock that Denubbewa acquired a sample of Dakinium and that leader of Denubbewa in GA space ordered them all to gather and have their ships claded in Dakinium.

I personally think that there is a fundamental flaw in Denubbewa. They appear not very creative or inventive. Sure they are able to perfect some new tech that they absorbed by absorbing some nation into their collective ( who said Borg?)) by they definitely not very able to invent some new stuff on their own. Which is quite natural by the way..being cyBorgs)) they would achieve practical immortality sure but they would lose most of the drives that motivates biological beings,

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 02:56:34 PM »
The print (paper) version of Changing of the Guard is now appearing at various bookselling locations. Barnes & Noble is offering it, as is Amazon. I'm sure that smaller booksellers will have it available very shortly as well.