Author Topic: Amazon's newest scam to cheat Independent authors.  (Read 142 times)

Thomas

• Administrator
Amazon's newest scam to cheat Independent authors.
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »
I learned today that a new ploy is being employed on Amazon that enables sellers to avoid sharing royalties with the authors of books sold on Amazon. On every page where my print books are offered, third party vendors are now offering my books well below the established selling price. They misrepresent the books as being new, but since they are not authorized publishers, the book cannot be new. If they purchased it from Amazon (a retailer) at a heavily discounted rate in order to resell it, it is used. If they have secured a copy and are now reproducing it on one of the Print-On-Demand copy machines available to anyone, the books are illegal copies and I have never received a penny in royalties from any reseller of these so-called 'new' books. I have to assume that Amazon is behind this scam.

I continue to get complaints from readers that they are angry that I've stopped selling my eBooks on Amazon. It appears now that I will have to stop selling the print versions there as well. I will continue to make legitimate print copies available though Barnes & Noble, and other book sellers around the world, both on-line stores and 'brick-and-mortar' stores.

If you wish to read about the latest scam, there's an article on the Huffington Post titled 'How Amazon, Once Again, Is Driving Down the Value of Books and Undermining Authors.'   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/third-party-sellers-can-now-win-the-buy-box-on-amazon_us_590b309be4b05279d4edc31f
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:27:38 AM by Thomas »

Alisia

Re: Amazon's newest scam to cheat Independent authors.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:24:49 PM »
Just joined the forum today and this may be hard to believe but I've never been part of a forum or left comments on any site of any kind. I know I sound like I'm 80 years old but I don't like being out there for just anyone or any company to have any more access to me than they already do. I love the AGU universe & am saddened but not surprised Amazon is abusing authors. Thank you for calling attention to this practice so I can make purchases that benefit those whom it should. Too bad we don't have a Jennetta Carver in real life working behind the scene to outsmart them. I guess it's up to everyday people to come together & get things done. Please keep writing such fun & imaginative books. I'll keep telling everyone I know to buy them.

Thomas

• Administrator
Re: Amazon's newest scam to cheat Independent authors.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:19:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Alisia. I'm pleased that you've enjoyed my books and appreciate your support.

Amazon's goal is to offer books at lower prices than other booksellers in an effort to continue their domination of the market. I understand their position. It's the same position that manufacturers adopted decades ago when they moved their manufacturing operations overseas to take advantage of cheap labor there. While it helped the manufacturers compete, it was devastating to the U.S. workforce. I'm able to write three full-length novels each year because I make enough income to do it fulltime. Most authors, both Independents and Traditionally Published, must work a full-time non-writing job and then work on their books nights and weekends because their books don't pay enough to support them and their families. In that respect, I've been very fortunate. And I get as much fun from writing the books as my fans get from reading them. As I lay my head down on the pillow each night, I'm thinking about the story I'm currently working on and plotting where I can take the protagonist next.   ;D

I appreciate your personal promotion of my stories.