Author Topic: Changing of the Guard  (Read 2275 times)

KC0IVQ

Changing of the Guard
« on: February 12, 2017, 04:01:55 AM »
I just read the first chapter you have up of the next AGU book.  I had figured that Adm. Carver would make some announcement of the cats intelligence but I honestly expected it as a mid book climax type thing.  Not an opening bombshell.  That was one heck of an opening salvo.  I am always eager to read the AGU and AGU: BP books but that chapter really makes me want to read, as Paul Harvey once said, "...now for the rest of the story."!!!!  I want to see where the heck you go from here.

Thomas

• Administrator
Re: Changing of the Guard
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:31:05 AM »
Jenetta told me she wanted to drop a bombshell in her first AB meeting to excite the millions who would be tuning in, and to stir interest that would lead to quick support for her position regarding sentience. Within days, virtually everyone in the G.A. will be talking about her announcement, which is what she was hoping to achieve.    ;D

KC0IVQ

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 04:45:38 PM »
As I said earlier that chapter makes me really really want to read the rest of the story.  I have to wonder where this will lead.  It would make an interesting subplot.

MSHEPP62

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
I too was thrilled that the next chapter of agu is coming in July. I probably read the first chapter teaser about 10 times. Sadly I had to have ankle surgery this year and I can't tell you how much rereading all your series have helped get me through this very difficult time in my life. You are truly making a difference thank you so much. I see you have three new volumes coming out this year and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's told you we can't wait ;D thanks again

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:33:38 PM »
I too was thrilled that the next chapter of agu is coming in July. I probably read the first chapter teaser about 10 times. Sadly I had to have ankle surgery this year and I can't tell you how much rereading all your series have helped get me through this very difficult time in my life. You are truly making a difference thank you so much. I see you have three new volumes coming out this year and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's told you we can't wait ;D thanks again

Sorry to hear of your surgery. But I'm pleased that my stories helped to pass the time in a pleasant manner.

Lots of great stories ahead. Yes, I said great. Can't help it. I'm prejudiced.   ;D

Hope your ankle heals well and quickly.

Ty

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:56:10 PM »
Just curious, but i've been wondering if the next book is still on schedule.  Its been happening a lot these past couple years where my favorite authors have had to reschedule release dates.  And no, i'm not just talking about you. ;)

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »
Just curious, but i've been wondering if the next book is still on schedule.  Its been happening a lot these past couple years where my favorite authors have had to reschedule release dates.  And no, i'm not just talking about you. ;)

Traditional publishers tend to schedule publication up to two years away to ensure they make their target dates. But they have a LOT more to coordinate than do Independent Author/Publishers such as myself. They're coordinating developmental editing, copy editing, proofing, cover design, set-up, scheduling print runs, securing orders from bookstores, shipment to bookstores, arranging for advertising, sending early copies to book reviewers, scheduling publicity tours and signings, etc., etc, etc. If publishers complete all the steps early, they sit on the book until the release date. 

I only have to write the book and perform the rewrites, work with my editor to get the book edited and proofed, work with an artist to have a cover made or make it myself, and then format the edited book into Mobi, ePub, and PDF versions and upload it online to the eBook sellers and print companies. If I complete the book early, I release it early. I use my experience to project a release date, and I admit that the date is sometimes a little optimistic. I also know that unexpected things happen to delay the publication. Last year my editor moved several states away from her previous address. That delayed the work a bit, but she and her people do such a great job that I was happy to wait until she returned to her editing. I also had a number of other publishing operations problems that took me away from writing while I worked them out. But I continue to establish dates that optimistically project a no-problem release because I don't know how to plan for unexpected problems.   ;D

At this point the schedule for AGU-11 is still on track for July 1, 2017, and I will do everything in my power to meet that date. Without adding half a year of time to cover unplanned contingencies, I can't guarantee any release date. So if you prefer, think of January 1, 2018 for publication of AGU-11 and then imagine how happy you'll be if it's available on July 1st, 2017.    :D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:46:22 PM by Thomas »

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
I know that by now some fans of the AGU series have noticed that I've moved the release date ahead by one month. I hate doing that, but it's unavoidable some times. Writing a book is a creative process and you can't always predict when a new novel will be finished. It's not like cooking a five-minute egg. I've made good progress on the book, and continue to work on it every day, but it's going a bit slower than I expected it would. I want the book to be both exciting and interesting, and I pay a great deal of attention to detail. If I was a bit more general with my prose, I could write faster, but then the books wouldn't be as interesting to the fans who enjoy my writing style. So all I can do is apologize to those fans waiting anxiously for the next Carver book.

Ty

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 02:13:45 PM »
Not the news I was hoping for today, but I can understand that it is sometimes necessary.  I would love it if for once a release date were pulled forward instead.  And apology accepted  ;)

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 08:37:05 PM »
I know that some readers are extremely anxious to read the new Jenetta Carver book, so here's an update. The book is completely written. I'm now performing the critical process of review and rewrites before I send it to my editor. So there's almost no doubt that the book will be published in August. And I hope to make it as early in August as possible. Watch your email for the announcement letter with a date once I have a cast-in-concrete delivery schedule.   ;D

Ty

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 04:41:51 PM »
Great news!!!  Also looking forward to seeing the cover.

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 05:25:36 PM »
I've sent the manuscript to my editor for the first go-round and I've begun doodling with sketches for the cover. So far, nothing I've put together appeals to me. Ever since the great artist I had used for many of my earlier books retired, coming up with a good cover has been the most difficult part of publishing a new book. The Thriller book covers and the Paranormal book covers were fairly easy. Coming up with good Space Opera covers are difficult. Maybe I'll just show an image of a Jumaka on the cover.  Folks will think it's a nature book.    ;D

Ty

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 05:47:57 PM »
Jumaka on the cover would be interesting.  Maybe one with Jenetta, and the Jumakas, on a ship with the deck and bulkheads transparent and a beautiful view of outer space or maybe a planet in the backround.  There is an image that would be interesting to see. :)

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »
I'm quite sure that's beyond my limited artistic skills. I'm pretty good with Photoshop for photo manipulation, but that would take an artist.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:13:19 AM by Thomas »

Ty

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »
Almost halfway through July and I'm starting to get excited about the book coming out.  I suspect the you don't have any solid date yet for the book or you would probably have sent out a newsletter, or updated your website.  But, since I do in fact read quite a few different books and series and I like to plan ahead what I'm going read next, it would be nice to at least know roughly when in August it will be released. Early, middle, or late?  I promise I'm not going to hold you to it if you give me a date. ;)