Author Topic: Amazing!  (Read 377 times)

Thomas

• Administrator
Amazing!
« on: November 02, 2016, 09:36:59 AM »
As we approach the three year anniversary of my adding this forum my website, it's astounding that not a day has gone by following the first month, that spammers have not attempted to add their garbage to this board.  Most attempts come from the former soviet block, China, or southern Asia. I assume that ISPs outside those areas are more intolerant of the people who want to pollute the internet with their unwelcome spam. I will continue to monitor this forum daily to ensure that spam doesn't remain up for very long when the spammers actually do manage to find an ISP whose internet addresses have not already been blocked by me. I apologize to proxy users who attempt to use the same ISP as the spammers when they find access blocked because the spammers have been there before them. 

stads

Re: Amazing!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:30:39 AM »
happy b-day forum i guess :D
shame with the spammers though hope ya continue the good fight

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 12:00:38 PM »
I've reached the limit of my patience with Spammers from the Ukraine. The spammers themselves are probably not even in the Ukraine, but are merely hacking into internet servers that are located there to cover their tracks because safeguards to prevent such abuse are limited or completely absent, or because the servers have intentionally been established to act as proxy servers in an unregulated environment.

So from this point forward I will work to block any and all internet traffic to my forum that uses server addresses assigned to any UA address. Forum members using UA addresses will see their membership privileges removed. This will also block proxy users who are trying to conceal their internet activity by using servers located in the Ukraine, and I apologize for this. Proxy users can thank the Spammers and SEO idiots for their non-stop, unwanted activity.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:31:48 AM by Thomas »

Sominaka

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:46:46 AM »
Your information is very good.

kj46

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 03:31:44 AM »
Unfortunately the entire internet is becoming polluted with spam and scams that flood email box's everyday. The billions worldwide that is being stolen by these criminals is creating an environment where it is difficult to trust anything that is received, with genuine retailers having their company used in fake emails to gather personnel details.   

The same effort that is made to find and apprehend criminals using a gun to rob a bank or business does not seem to be used to find these people. Governments are quick to stop anything that affects them financially but the scams don't effect them and any effort to stop them does not have a financial reward for the government hence nothing much is done.

I live in Australia and a few weeks ago my credit card details were used at an automotive business in Las Vegas to the tune of $1,842. The bank accepted it was fraud and after a few weeks I got the money back. In reality we are paying for it with higher card fees  :(

It's sad :( keep them out of your site Thomas 

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 04:19:00 AM »
I think that some credit card companies are trying to stay on top of it. A few years ago I received a call from Visa Card Services to enquire if I was in Las Vegas because my card had just been used to pay for a room there. I told them that I most certainly was not in Las Vegas and never authorize anyone to use my card. The charge never appeared on my account. I think it might be getting a little more difficult for crooks these days because so many people have smart phones in their pocket and the credit card companies can verify suspicious activity within seconds. I get verification calls about four times a year. But the crooks keep coming up with new ways to steal.

I shall continue to delete spam messages almost as quickly as they appear. And I've blocked so many internet addresses that it's becoming impossible for anyone in Russia, the Ukraine, China, and India (or proxy users operating through internet proxy nodes in those countries) to post anything at all on this site. I know that some potential posters may be upset when being blocked from making genuine posts, but that's the price we pay to combat fraud.

Ty

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »
There is another forum i am a part of where registered users are first given the visitors rank where they dont have full posting rights, but when they make their first post and submit it, it is first viewed by an administrator and then once approved, they are promoted and have full posting rights.  Sounds like this is what this forum needs.

Anyway I think you are doing a good job in deleting spam messages.  I only see one rarely and they are always deleted by my next visit.

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »
There is another forum i am a part of where registered users are first given the visitors rank where they dont have full posting rights, but when they make their first post and submit it, it is first viewed by an administrator and then once approved, they are promoted and have full posting rights.  Sounds like this is what this forum needs.

Anyway I think you are doing a good job in deleting spam messages.  I only see one rarely and they are always deleted by my next visit.

That's a good idea. The software I'm using for this forum is freeware and I don't know if it has such an option, and right now I'm much too busy with AGU:11 to spend time digging through the instructions. Perhaps next year I'll be able to get to it.   :D