Author Topic: AGU Border Patrol III  (Read 2160 times)

Evilpi314

Re: AGU Border Patrol III
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 09:25:02 AM »
Excellent news! Besides, if the story gets a little longer, who are we to complain?  I should have reposted, but decided to go to bed instead. About 15 minutes after I posted, it occurred to me that you might have decided to end the chapter in a different place. Having just now gone back and looked at it again, and remembering what I do of what was there, I see that is exactly what you did.

So, another 2000 words......I like it!

kj46

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
Looking forward to Patrol III  :). Is there a mailing list that people can join which advises when a new book is available rather than having to check daily for releases ?

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »
Absolutely. Just go to the Newsletter page on the website and sign up. Here's the link to make it easier:

http://www.deprima.com/newsletter.html

kj46

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
Thanks for that - signed up and waiting for the email  8). Perhaps that link as a button on the forum page would make it more obvious and get more people signed on.

Cheers 

Kym

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.

A month or two ago someone told me they had been to my website to find a contact address in order to comment that my newest eBooks weren't available at Amazon without ever realizing that all of my books are available through my website in the three main eBook formats. I always hesitate to 'clutter' the pages with different messages like that for fear that the pages will be too confusing. I spend an inordinate amount of time each week on the net, and some sites are so darned cluttered and confusing with ads and things demanding your attention that I just close the page and go somewhere else. That's why I've refused to allow advertisements on my website except for my own books and only on the book's description page. But I added a note to the Novels page so that people understand they can get the eBook direct. It takes a little away from the esthetically pleasing effect I was trying for, but I hope prospective buyers are better served.

cookyjas

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 05:07:10 AM »
Are we still looking at nov 30th release    :)

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
The book has been in the hands of my editor's proofreaders since last week. I'm still planning on a November 30th release at this point, but I'll have to have the book back no later than Nov. 28 to accomplish that because it takes a couple of days to format the ebooks.   8)

The book will be available on my website first because it takes anywhere from a day to a week to have it appear on B&N, Apple, and Kobo. And if any of them are performing maintenance operations when I submit the book (as they periodically do) it could add another couple of days before the book appears in their catalogs and on their website.

Micromancer

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 02:58:40 AM »
So November 30, where is the book? Cant wait

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 03:03:09 AM »
I'm back.

Where was I?

I was in 'no internet limbo'. Spectrum aka Charter aka Times Warner would only say they were experiencing an issue in my area and that they were working on it. As a result, I lost a lot of time when I needed it most.

The new book is complete, and I think it's great, but it won't be available until perhaps Saturday. It's amazing how much I've come to rely on the internet and built my business around having immediate access to all the tools I use for publishing.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have the book available by Saturday. It doesn't pay to hurry. Momma always said, 'haste makes waste.' I've already made one serious mistake while trying to prepare the copies for distribution that will cost me at least a days work. I tried to perform a global replace using Word and didn't catch my error until after I had saved the replacement file (with the major error) I was working on. Now I have to go through the entire book line by line to repair the damage. Sorry for the delay.

kj46

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 03:48:58 AM »
Bummer :( I always save a copy of any document prior to making any major change just for that reason.  I did learn the hard way though :(

Look forward to Saturday or I guess Sunday for us in Australia, as we are a day ahead of the US, and downloading the book :)

PS You could get your editor/proof reader to send you another copy of the file if they still have it - save line by line correction.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:54:07 PM by kj46 »

bhamilton

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »
sed, awk, vi are your friends. Add laTex and it's a great writing and publishing system. 😀

Take care of yourself!

Evilpi314

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 03:09:37 PM »
Are you using the track changes feature in word? if you are you should be able to undo that global change even after you have saved the file.

Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 03:59:25 PM »
I use tracking with my editor, but I had turned it off for these final changes. All I was doing was replacing all the double straight quotes with curly quotes for the print version, which at that point was the only fully updated version. The majority of the double-quotes had been changed previously, but I was just double-checking because I normally have the curly quotes turned off. I use the straight quote mark for apostrophes. I'm forever making backup copies but I had made too many small 'print version' changes without a backup this time because I was hurrying. After I complete the print version I strip out a lot of the stuff required for the print book process such as headers, footers, drop caps, hyphenation, gutter dimensions, etc. and then convert the remaining file to 'clean' HTML for conversion to ePub, mobi, and PDF online versions. Anyway, in my haste I somehow had the double quote in the top replace box replaced by the word 'own.' So every occurrence of that word was replaced by curly quotes. That includes not only the standalone word 'own' but changes were made to owners, down, download, downtime, town, etc., etc. I never realized there were so many words with 'own' in them. And I didn't realize my mistake until I had to go back to check on something and discovered the error. By then I had saved the current version.  ???

After discovering how onerous the correction effort would be, I loaded the previously saved copy to a laptop and starting performing a search for 'own'. Each time I encountered one I jumped ahead to that page or point in the messed up version on my desktop computer and corrected it. I'm now reviewing the file one last time before I begin the conversion to the eBook formats.

We're almost there.   ;D

Ty

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 07:18:40 PM »
Ouch!!!

I guess i'll be up late on Saturday.  After work I'll be reading a great new book thats coming out out that day. :)

Evilpi314

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »
^^^^what he said^^^^