Author Topic: Moved from the NEWS page  (Read 480 times)

Thomas

• Administrator
Moved from the NEWS page
« on: December 22, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »
I've moved several of my posts from the NEWS page to here because they weren't really appropriate for that page. At the time, I didn't have a forum established so it was my only way of informing fans of what was happening.

November 20, 2013  - I've been so incensed over Amazon's attitude in this plagiarism accusation mess that I have failed to really consider the situation of the fans who have only one means of accessing my stories. I apologize to all of them. While most fans have multiple access means such as home computers or iPads, others are limited to kindles and the mobi format. After I wrap up The Star Brotherhood I will begin working on a way for fans to download a mobi version from this site. I've hesitated to set up a store because of the extra work but since Amazon doesn't wish to continue carrying my stories, I'll make them available on my own. I can't tell you how long it will take, but I promise to work on that instead of The Clidepp Requital story. I won't be able to send them over the cell phone lines, but I can create a copy that can be accessed using a USB port. I've never used DRM on my stories so that's not a problem.

November 20, 2013  - While discussing the situation with a fan today, it suddenly occurred to me that had any of my stories plagiarized D. Weber's stories, Amazon would have removed them from the stacks long ago. They've had a long-running campaign to remove such material as public domain duplicates and plagiarized material. All that remains to answer is why they allow one of their reviewers to make such as accusation, and then not remove the objectionable sentence when they are so quick to edit most other reviews and posts on their site.

November 15, 2013  - A few months ago, a reviewer on Amazon accused me of plagiarizing the work of author David Weber. For those who might be unfamiliar with David Weber, he's written the very popular Honor Harrington series. The reviewer chose his words carefully (although he appears not to know the true definition of 'plagiarism') in order to avoid violating Amazon's rule regarding direct personal attacks, but the accusation is VERY clear. Every author receives negative reviews from time to time, and I know that not everyone is going to like my work, so I don't complain when people leave negative comments; it goes with being a writer. However, I asked Amazon to remove the one SENTENCE in his review that pointed to me as a plagiarist. Amazon unequivocally refused. As it turns out, this individual is an Amazon 'Vines' reviewer, so I assume their refusal to act is an indication of support for his allegation and thus reflects the position of the company. It's interesting that the Amazon reviewer lives just a few miles from author David Weber, according to information in Weber's bio on Amazon, and the home town address associated with the reviewer's name.

Today, I responded to a poster on one of my forum threads on Amazon where that poster mentioned the review and the fact that the reviewer wondered if I was paying royalties to Weber for plagiarizing his work. Since the Honor Harrington series was, like the AGU series, inspired by C.S. Forester's brilliant Horatio Hornblower series, I mentioned that I've wondered if the 'Vines' reviewer had asked David Weber to pay royalties to the C.S. Forester estate. His series MUCH more closely resembles the work of C.S. Forester than mine. To verify this relationship, you need only search 'Honorverse' on Wikipedia.

A direct quote from the Honorverse listing on Wikipedia:
 The Honorverse

The series is consciously modeled on the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester, and its main character on Admiral Lord Nelson (like Horatio Hornblower).

Amazon immediately deleted my comment. Apparently, they don't want anyone to be aware of the C.S. Forester/ David Weber connection since that would reflect badly on their Vines reviewer.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:08:21 PM by Thomas »

Nobilis

• US Army Vet, Nerd, PC Gamer
Re: Moved from the NEWS page
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:14:48 AM »
 I download English translated Japanese light novels from fans and most of the time their in PDF or epub format. I do believe (not quite sure really) that when you convert epub to mobi the links to chapters are still functioning.   I've done that a few times using this site here http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi It only takes  two minutes for a online converter to do it for free

So I would suggest that customers who wants to read in mobi format just buy the epub and do a quick conversion. Maybe add a thread on how to step by step do this but I don't see it as much of a inconvenience.  Which I am about to do myself to Star Brotherhood after it comes out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:46:45 AM by Nobilis »

Teerasakjo

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 02:01:59 AM »
I read this about 2-3 times were under the impression that it is something that is really useful.

Pongganut

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »
New page   Where is the link you posted it?