Author Topic: Favorite Space Opera Series or indivdual books?  (Read 1607 times)

scott2218

Favorite Space Opera Series or indivdual books?
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:31:49 AM »
Besides Thomas's series what other  series does everyone like?
Some personal Favorites
 - David Webers Honorverse books
 - john Ringos books
 - Chris Hechtel's Wandering Engineer series
 - Travis Taylor's books
 - Michael Z Williamson's FreeHold series
 - Luke Skye Wachter's Admiral series
 - Walter J Benning First Admiral series
 - Phil Geusz David Birkenhead series
 -

My2cents2

Re: Favorite Space Opera Series or indivdual books?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:03:44 AM »
One of my favorite series is "Star Carrier" by Ian Douglas ;D

scott2218

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »
I like Star carrier. he has a new one "Star Corpsman" which is good Also.

C Trevethan

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »
ryk browns frontier saga
kris longknife series
glen campbells lost fleet series
theres not to reason why - jean johnston

just a couple more that were not mentioned

prolly have quite a few more on the klindle, but those above repreesent about 30 odd books to keep ya going for a while

James

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »
I am old so some of these will now be outdated to read.  E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman and Skylark series.  David Weber's Honor Harrington, and the rest of the Honoverse books.  I'm not sure it qualifies as a "space opera" but Andre Nortons Solor Queen series.  Of course Thomas DePrima's series.  There are others but I can not at the moment remember the authors or titles.

Tboltaq2

• Certified J.O.A.T and general all-around good guy.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
The Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepherd is very good.  I am also becoming a big fan of a relatively new series of books by Jean Johnson.  Her series is referenced as the "Theirs is not to reason why" series and so far there are 3 books in it.   Elizabeth Moon's "Vatta's War" Series is excellent too.  All 3 have strong female protagonists in them which has always been a favorite plot element for me.  "The Lost Fleet" series by Jack Campbell is also excellent.  I have always liked the idea of series of books with lots of ongoing character development with nice long intricate story arcs.  I like investing myself in them and it gives me much too look forward to with each and every new installment.  Mr. DePrima appears to be building up really great body of work and I have loved each and every new book in the "Galaxy Unknown" series as well as the other books that have been written in the same universe.  Lots of possibilities!!!

Markbatt53

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 07:52:17 AM »
I may be showing my age but how about Asimov's Foundation Series?  One of the more entertaining series is John Scalzi's Old Man's War series.  Ryk Brown's Frontiers Saga, Evan Currie Odyssey series and Raymond Weil's Slaver Wars series should be mentioned.  We are very lucky to have writers like these and Mr. Deprima writing at this time.  All of them are entertaining and give a slightly different look at the future.  What I like most about reading so many books, is that I can hold them all in one hand instead of on a bookshelf taking up a lot of space and collecting dust.  The electronic reader has made series possible.

LtBeefy

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 07:42:56 PM »
Besides A Galaxy Unknown series, my favorites are the Wandering Engineer and the On Warrior's Wing series.

It be really hard to pick a #1 favorite tho. I love both A galaxy Unknown and Wandering Engineer series. They both are my favorite. And both series are vastly different in styles.

ceatley

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 10:53:21 AM »
Anne McCaffrey & others : The Ship series.  Again Anne McCaffrey & others: Acorna.  Lois McMaster Bujold The Vorkosigan Saga

garybliev

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden Universe series
Elizabeth Moon, Vatta and Serrano
Robert Heinlien  (Tunnel in the Sky, Citizen of the Galaxy, Time for the Stars, Door into Summer)
David Weber  Honor Harrington
Mike Shephard (Mike Moscow) Kris Longknife,  Lost Millennium, Society of Humanity
Jack Campbell   Lost Fleet / Lost Stars
Jean Johnson's  Theirs not to reason why. 

I just finished the re-read of the AGU series from DePrima. 

I am in the currently in the process of reading, re-reading, the Rissa Kerguelen and Bran Tregare serie(s) from F. M. Busby.  I read them so long ago that either I had not read all of them, or I had forgotten much of their adventures.  I'm enjoying them so much I just ordered up another 10 of his books.  Unlike most space based SF currently, which feature warp drives, sails,  or wormholes to achieve FTL, the earlier books in the Tregare/Kerguelen series had relativistic time dialation.  Pretty hard to marry someone when, if she stayed on a planet, she would age 20 years to your one or two. 

Like many, I grew up on Heinlein's juvenile series.  Interesting how many of them ended up with an older man  marrying a younger woman.  His novels also had this tendency to have continuing adventures, step by step...inch by inch...slowly they turned, .... until sufficient words had been written to call it a book, and then the story would wrap up in a few pages. 

In 9th grade English, I did a book review on one of Heinlein's novels.  One of the questions the teacher asked, "why did the author write this book?"  I answered:  "groceries" 

I do not read a lot of fantasy, but in that genre, I can recommend the works of Maria V. Snyder; Study, Glass, and Healer series.  She has a couple of S-F juveniles (Inside Out and Outside In.  Every chapter ends with a bit of a cliff hanger or a tease, that keeps me turning the pages all night long. 

Hi, I'm Gary and I am an addict.

kevin

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »
Other series to consider:
  • "Traci Ganner" (Brian Jeffreys)
  • "Major Ariane Kedros" (Laura E. Reeve)
  • "Riss" (C. R. Daems)
  • "Paradox" (Rachel Bach)
  • "The Girls from Alycone" (Cary Caffrey)
  • "Valour" (Tanya Huff)
  • "Defender of the Empire" (Catherine Beery)
  • "The Robert Fenaday and Shasti Rainhell Chronicles" (Edward McKeown)
  • "Trilisk" (Michael McCloskey)

Markbatt53

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »
Is Catherine Beery related to Andrew Berry?  Andrew wrote the Catherine Kimbridge Chronicles.